You are at home » directory » district library, hamirpur
Indira Gandhi District Library, Hamirpur
History of Hamirpur district dates back to ancient period and is closely associated with the history of Katoch dynasty. Mention has been made in Puranas and Panini's Ashtadhyai of Hamirpur being part of old Jallandhar-Trigarta empire.
The town of Hamirpur was founded by Katoch ruler Hamir Chand who ruled from 1700 A.D. to 1740 A.D. He built a fort at Hamirpur. During the reign of another Katoch ruler Sansar Chand the state of Hamirpur dominated the region.
Hamirpur remianied a part of Punjab Province until 1st November 1966, when it was merged with Himahcal Pradesh. It was created as a separate district on 1st September 1972.
The library was established soon after the creation of the Hamirpur district on September, 1972.
The library shares a building along with other offices on the Ist floor of a building at Govt. Boys School that has been provided rent free by the local administration.
Town of Hamirpur is situated at distance of 479 Kms from national capital New Delhi, 214 Kms from Chandigarh and 154 Kms from state capital Shimla. The average elavation above sea level is 738 meters, so the climate is quite warmer compared to the districts above. It is bordered by Kangra to the north, Mandi to the east, Bilaspur to the south and Una to the west.
The library is located just oppostie to the Govt. Boys Senior Secondary School, a five minutes walk from the main bus stand of the city.
Chronological list of librarians who headed the library till now,
- Mr Dalip Singh Verma from 02.09.1978 to 01.12.1983
- Mr Ganga Ram Sharma from 27.04.1984 to 05.02.1989
- Mr Satinder singh from 03.03.1989 to 31.03.1991
- Mr Prakash Chand Sharma from 02.05.1991 to 03.04.1997
- Ms Kumud Bala from 28.04.1998 to 02.11.1998
- Mr Kirpa Ram from 05.11.1998 to 31.05.2009
- Mr Bhupendra Mohan Dutta from 02.08.2009 to present
The different positions in the library are held as under:
|Sr.No.||Designation||No. of Posts|
|1||Librarian||Mr Bhupendra Mohan Dutta|
|2||Assistant Librarian||Ms Kusum kumari|
|6||Peon||Ms Phoolan Devi|
|7||Water Carrier*||Ms Asha Kumari|
|8||Sweeper*||Ms Reeta Devi|
* temporary/part time positions
The library has a collection of more than 31,600 books in English and Hindi.
The library subscribes 12 newspapers in 2 languages i.e. English, Hindi.
The major newspapers subscribed by the library are:
|Sr.No.||Name of Newspaper||Language|
|4||Times of India||English|
Note: The library maintains old newspaper archives for the last one year.
The library has 3000+ registered members till now of these 375 are active.
The library offers membership for a period of 3 years and is renewable thereafter. There is no membership fee, but a refundable security needs to be paid at the time of Ist registration. This secutiry is carried forward during periodical renewals.
Membership Security (Refundable):
- Adults Rs 200
- Children (14 years or below) Rs 50
The library makes use of 2 computers with internet facility for office work but the library services are offered manually.
Apart from the gazetted holidays the library remains closed on every Tuesday and last Saturday of the month. The library timings vary according to the season.
- Summer (Ist April to 30th September) 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Winter (Ist October to 31st March) 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Indira Gandhi District Library,
Opposite Boys Senior Secondary School,
Main Market, Hamirpur (HP)- 177001.
© 2008-2018 PunLib
All Rights Reserved ((Read Best View))