You are at home » directory » central state library, solan
Central State Library, Solan
The library was established on 29th June 1959 It is the central library in the state and all other public libraries and school libraries come under it. Till 1973 the library used to run a Certificate Course in Library and Information Science and a Mobile Library. But now these have been discontinued.
The library occupies a rented building (rented from Shivdial Trust) in the busy market place, The Mall, a little distance from the Old Bus Stand.
The Library is on the top floor of a traditional building built on the slope of a hill, with its base many floors down under from the road level. Like most of the traditional buildings the building runs parallel to the road. The roof of the building is in traditional hill style, raised in the centre and sloping on the sides. Based on the building plan the library can be divided into two sections, the left wing and the right wing. Both of these wings have their own seperate enterances. The right wing is occupied by the general reading room, newspapers and magazines section, children section, librarian's room and office etc.
The Left Wing is occupied by the main stack room area divided into different collections with a circulation desk and a reading room.
Solan with an elevation of 1485mts above sea level is a famous hill station in the country and has recently converted into a favourite eduction hub with many prominent institutes coming up in this hilly town. It is about 304 Kmts from National capital Delhi.
The library is located in the busy market area called 'The Mall' It is only a few hundard meters away from the Old Bus Stand. It is on the way when going from the bypass to the old bus stand.
Chronological List of Chief Librarians
- Mr K.R. Sharma from 28.06.1959 to 31.10.69
- Mr N.S. Bawa from 05.06.1971 to 07.09.1983
- Mr V. Tirtha from 16.05.1985 to 31.02.1992
- Mr D.S. Verma from 13.05.97 to 31.10.1997
- Mr L.P. Sharma from 13.11.1998 to 30.04.2000
- Mr G.R. Sharma from 12.10.2000 to 31.10.2000
- Mr S.K. Dadhwal from 14.02.2007 to 2008
Chronological List of Librarians (Additional Charge in absence of Chief Librarian.)
- Mr N.S. Bawa from 01.11.1969 to 20.11.1969
- Mr P.S. Bansal from 21.11.1969 to 4.06.1971
- Mr M.S. Sachdeva from 14.09.1983 to 31.01.1984
- Mr S.C. Gupta from 01..2.1984 to 15.05.1985
- Mr I.K. Manuja from 05.11.92 to 31.01.1994
- Mr M.M. Sheel from 01.02.1994 to 28.05.1994
- Mr C.L. Khushu from 29.05.1994 to 07.05.1995
- Mr S.K. Sood from 08.09.1995 to 12.05.1997
- Mr S.K. Sood from 01.11.1997 to 12.11.1998
- Mr S.K. Anand from 01.05.2000 to 11.10.2000
- Mr S.K. Anand from 01.11.2000 to 31.12.2000
- Mr Shushma Seth from 01.01.2001 to 13.03.2001
- Ms Usha Julka from 14.03.2001 to 31.04.2002
- Mr S.S. Ahuja from 01.05.2002 to 31.12.2002
- Ms Asha Thakur from 01.01.2003 to 31.01.2003
- Mr Kumar Singh from 01.02.2003 to 18.09.2003
- Mr Narendra Awasthi from 18.10.2003 to 15.02.2005
- Mr Satish Chander from 15.02.2005 to 28.06.2006
- Ms Shashi Sharma from 29.06.2006 to 14.02.2007
- Mr S.K. Sood from 10.2008 to 14.06.2010
The library has following posts:
|Sr.No.||Designation||No. of Posts||Occupied||Vacant|
|2||Lecturers in Library Science||2||0||2|
|15||Part Time Sweeper||1||1||0|
The library has rich collection of 1,20,000 books. The whole collection has been divided into many general and special collections. The prominent special collections are,
- Hindi Collection
- Sanskrit Collection
- Urdu Collection
- Punjabi Collection
- Pahadi Collection
- Tagore Collection etc.
The library subscribes 17 newspapers in 4 languages i.e. English, Hindi, Punjabi and Urdu. The library also subscribes 5 magazines in English and Hindi.
The Library Subscribes following Newspapers:
|Sr.No.||Name of Newspaper||Language|
|4||Times of India||English|
|5||The Economic Times||English|
|8||Employment News (Weekly)||English|
The library has 14372 adult members and 3257 child members registered till now. The library offers membership for a period of 3 years and is renewable thereafter. There is no membership fee, but a refundable security needs to be paid at the time of Ist registration. This secutiry is carried forward during periodical renewals.
Membership Security (Refundable):
- Adults Rs 200
- Children (14 years or below) Rs 50
The library makes use of 5 computers for office work but the library operations are not automated yet.
Apart from the gazetted holidays the library remains closed on every Tuesday and last Saturday of the month. The library timings vary according to the season.
- Summer (Ist April to 30th September) 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Winter (Ist October to 31st March) 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Central State Library,
Opposite Sanskrit College,
Near Old Bus Stand,
Phone: +91 1792 223757
© 2008-2018 PunLib
All Rights Reserved ((Read Best View))