You are at home » directory » district library, Jind
District Library, Jind
The Jind district is an ancient region in the Haryana State of India with its headqurters at Jind. It dates back to Harappan period and has long history from ancient periods through mediaval to the modern period.
The Jind city is said to have derived its name from Jainti Devi temple that was constructed by the Pandavas (Mahabharata Period) in honour of Jainti Devi, the Goddess of Victory. Eventually a town came up around the temple and it was called Jaintpuri, which later became Jind.
The library was established in the year 1970. It was started at a temporary location a Old Court Complex in Purana Quila. Then it was shifted to a nearby location and was functional from this place till 1984 when the construction of the present building was completed and handed over to the library on 16th Feb. 1984.
However, the Ist Floor with Stack Room and other facilities was completed later and inaugarated on 9th July, 1989
The library has been constructed on a area of 1565 Square Yard in the centre of the city. The two storey building is occupied as under:
Ground Floor has the Reading Hall, Librarian's Room, Office, Store and Public Conveniences.
First Floor consists of Stack Room, Technical Section, Reference Section, Automation Section and Store
The city of Jind is called the Heart of haryana as it is located almost in the centre of the state. The library is just a 5 minutes walk from the City Bus Stand. It is near the Bal Bhawan.
- Mr Bishn Das Ratta from 05.03.1970 to 21.01.1971
- Mr R.P. Sharma from 22.1.1971 to 05.08.1974
- Mr Madan Singh Marwa from 06.08.1974 to 08.08.1977
- Mr Sahib Ram Sindhu from 09.08.1977 to 07.12.1977
- Mr S.D. Tripathi from 24.12.1977 to 21.07.1979
- Mr Madan Singh Marwa from 22.07.1979 to 28.12.1981
- Mr R.P. Sharma from 29.12.1981 to 16.04.1990
- Mr Shashi Bhushan Sharma from 23.04.1990 to 21.05.1990
- Mr Ram Chander Sheokand from 01.06.1990 to 04.09.1993
- Mr Sita Ram Gupta from 15.09.1993 to 02.05.1994
- Mr Shashi Bushan Sharma from 08.06.1994 to 08.09.1994
- Ms Krishna Bhardwaj from 14.12.1994 to 17.07.1996
- Mr Inder Singh Kaushik from 03.09.1996 to 09.07.1998
- Mr Ram Chander Sheokand from 10.07.1998 to 31.07.1998
- Mr Satish Kumar Verma from 01.08.1998 to 01.09.1998
- Mr Ram Chander Sheokhand from 29.09.1998 to 31.03.2008
- Mr Vijai Kumar Sharma from 10.04.2008 to 31.05.2009
- Mr Balbir Singh Chahal from 18.08.2010 to present
The library has following posts:
|Sr.No.||Designation||No. of Posts|
|1||Senior Librarian||Mr Balbir Singh Chahal|
The library has a collection of more than 42,381 books. The collection abounds in literature and apart from English almost all the Indian languages are covered.
Also the library subscribes to 13 newspapers and many famous magazines.
The Library Subscribes following Newspapers:
|Sr.No.||Name of Newspaper||Language|
|5||Times of India||English|
|6||The Indian Express||English|
The library has more than 3375 registered members till now.
- Adults Rs 500 (Refundable) + Fee Rs 10 (Non-Refundable)
- Children Rs 100
The library has Five computers and is making use of SOUL software, though the retro-conversion is still going on.
Working Days and Work Hours
The library opens for public from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
The library remains closed on Fridays and last Saturday of every month and all the gazetted holidays.
Scheme No. 6,
Near Bal Bhawan,
Jind (Hr.) 126102.
Phone: +91 1681 253 201
© 2008-2020 PunLib
All Rights Reserved ((Read Best View))